Beat Air Pollution Hub | World Environment Day Campaign 2019
Welcome to the #BeatAirPollution Hub, developed in collaboration with key partners for World Environment Day 2019.
World Environment Day celebrates and promotes environmental awareness and sustainability across the globe. The Society for the Environment champions this initiative by creating awareness of the chosen theme each year. The theme for 2019 was "Air Pollution".
Within this hub you will find resources which explain the dangers of air pollution, as well as good practice and everyday activities to help improve air quality.
An Introduction to Air Pollution
Air pollution is one of the biggest environmental challenges that we face, with approximately 7 million people worldwide dying prematurely each year from air pollution, and about 4 million of these deaths occurring in Asia-Pacific (UN, 2019).
Ways to Get Involved
1) Share a good practice case study of a project that has helped tackle air pollution
2) Join in the conversation via social media using #BeatAirPollution
3) Utilise the resources provided to help build awareness in your local community (found further down this page) – including watching the recording of our 2019 Awards and Lectures event
4) Listen to the very first podcast of our series ‘Interviews with Environmental Professionals’, tied to the ‘Beat Air Pollution’ theme. The guest for this podcast is Professor James Longhurst HonFSE CEnv, a champion against air pollution.
Case Studies: What Others Are Doing to Help
- VLOG | onePlanet Solutions – How to reduce Air Pollution at Home (YouTube)
- WYG | West Trans | JLL – Delivery and Servicing Plan – Kings Mall Shopping Centre: improving air quality
- VLOG | onePlanet Solutions – What is Air Pollution? (YouTube)
- Port of London Authority – Air Quality Strategy for the Tidal Thames
- Canary Wharf Group – Air Quality Case Study
- Siemens – Raising Awareness of Air Pollution
- Skanska – Green Travel
- Skanska – Healthy Streets Challenge
- University of Birmingham – West Midlands Air Quality Improvement Programme
- Siemens – City Performance Tool
Blog: How can you Beat Air Pollution? By Sarah Jones of Siemens, a CEnv via the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA)
The Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE) have a number of useful resources and guides relating to the topic of air pollution.
You can find out more about the ICE via their website.
The Institute of Air Quality Management (IAQM) is committed to enhancing the understanding and development of the science behind air quality by promoting knowledge and understanding of best working practices.
Just a few of their resources can be found below:
You can find many more via the IAQM website.
Clean Air Day – free resources
Local Air Pollution
British Safety Council
Keeping children safe from toxic air campaign
University of Leeds