This website uses cookies to store information on your computer. Some of these cookies are used for visitor analysis, others are essential to making our site function properly and improve the user experience. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Click Accept to consent and dismiss this message or Deny to leave this website. Read our Privacy Statement for more.
The Society of Environmental Engineers (SEE) Chartered Environmentalist Support

Guidance to support Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv) registrants registered via SEE following SEE's decision to not renew their CEnv licence with the Society for the Environment. This support takes the form of likely questions with answers from the Society for the Environment.


Why do I need to transfer my CEnv registration? 

SEE will no longer have a current CEnv licence from 18th May 2019, so are unable to administer your registration with us.  You will therefore need to transfer your CEnv registration to another Licensed Body so you remain on the CEnv register.


When do I have to transfer to a different Licensed Body? 

The current SEE CEnv licence expires on 18th May 2019 and you have 12 months from that date to transfer to another Licensed Body if you wish to remain a CEnv registrant. The deadline for your transfer is 17th May 2020.


Where can I transfer my CEnv registration to? 

You can transfer to any of our 24 Licensed Bodies, though it is likely that some will be more suited to your field of expertise than others. 


Which Licensed Body should I transfer to? 

We can help steer you in the right direction, as it is likely that some of the 24 Licensed Bodies will be more suited to your field of expertise than others, but ultimately the choice is yours. 


Will I need to be re-assessed?

You will not need to be reassessed for CEnv. We recommend that you contact the Licensed Bodies that interest you to discuss further.


How much will it cost me? 

There is no fee for transferring your registration to a new Licensed Body as you have paid your CEnv fee for 2019 to SEE.  You will need to pay membership fees to your new Licensed Body for the year.


How do I complete the transfer? 

This is a simple process which is completed by the Licensed Body you have chosen to join. Please simply request for the transfer to be processed by the chosen Licensed Body.  They will then work with us to ensure the transfer is completed.


Is there anything that I will need to do? 

The Licensed Body you choose to transfer to may ask you complete a membership application and provide evidence of your experience.


Will I still be able you use my CEnv post-nominals? 

Yes, as long as you transfer your registration to one of our 24 Licensed Bodies by 17th May 2020.


Who else is affected by this? 

You are one of 154 SEE members who are also CEnv registrants. There are also a number of SEE members who are Chartered Engineers (CEng), whose transfer arrangements are being managed by Engineering Council. 


What happens if I don’t want to transfer? 

As a CEnv registrant you need to be a member of one of our 24 Licensed Bodies. With SEE no longer holding a licence from 23rd May 2019, you will need to join one of the 24 Licensed Bodies and transfer your CEnv registration with 12 months or lose your CEnv registration and no longer be able to use Chartered Environmentalist or your CEnv post nominals


Why will SEE no longer have licence? 

SEE have decided not to apply for their CEnv licence to be renewed. 


What if I have any other questions? 

We are here to support your transition, so if you have any questions/concerns about the process or need LB contact details, please contact Geoff Atkins, the Society for the Environment’s Head of Licensing, Registration and Standards, by email at or by our team on +44 (0)345 337 2951.

We are also holding a webinar for SEE registrants at 12 noon BST on 23rd May – registration is available at As well as the option to join the live session, the webinar will also be recorded and shared with all SEE members to watch after the event.

Professional bodies licensed to award the Chartered Environmentalist registration:

Society for the Environment
Davis Building, 189 Railway Terrace, 
Rugby, UK, CV21 3HQ.
© Copyright 2020 Society for the Environment. All rights reserved.

Privacy Statement