World Environment Day celebrates and promotes environmental awareness and sustainability across the globe. This year we ask you to commit to reducing harmful plastics using #PledgeLessPlastic.
Get Involved Today
CEnvs & REnvTechs
* Case Studies *
Events to Attend
Twitter Action - #WorldEnvironmentDay
The Society for the Environment champions the United Nations initiative held annually on the 5th June alongside its valued partners. World Environment Day has highlighted important global issues since its beginning in 1974 with a theme for each year. For a brief history, please click here.
The 2018 theme is:
"Beat Plastic Pollution - If you can't reuse it, refuse it"
And, we want you to get involved! As an individual and/or organisation. The plastic waste issue has been highly publicised over recent months in prime-time documentaries such as Blue Planet II and in governmental policies across the world, and for good reason. Keep reading to find out how to play your part.
Simply put, reducing the amount of plastic waste will improve our environment as a whole, our health and the well-being of animals - it might even save us money! LessPlastic.co.uk provide a great infographic to highlight why we should be limiting the use of single-use plastics:
9 Reasons to Refuse Single-Use Plastic
Get Involved Today
We are encouraging you to make a pledge, host activities, and educate and empower others to reduce plastic waste in order to successfully beat plastic pollution. We want individuals and organisations to get involved and make a difference to our environment. Pledges can be small or mighty - everyone can do it and it all helps!
The simple option is to make a pledge to improve your habits and reduce the amount of plastic you waste (and stick to it). Think carefully - what could you, or your organisation cut out? Once decided, make your pledge on social media using #PledgeLessPlastic. Ideas are available in our resources!
Download our toolkit and resources HERE and access:
- Case Studies - both organisational and individual (view completed case studies here)
- Toolkits - which include activity ideas and information on single use plastic
- Pledge Cards - to download and use on social media and make your pledge
- Communication Templates - to use within your organisation / social media to help spread the pledge
- Other resources such as the “Plastic Presentation” and “Waste Hierarchy”
As a registered environmental professional, we are calling on you to share your case studies on how you have (or plan to) reduce plastic waste, either as an individual or as an organisation. The case study does not need to be a ground-breaking innovation (feel free to share these too), but a simple success story that can inspire others.
Ideas for a pledge or case study can be found within our toolkits and resources.
Please also pledge on social media using the hashtag #PledgeLessPlastic and join the social conversation.
Contact our Marketing Executive, Phil Underwood, on the details below to create your case study.
+44 (0)345 337 2951
Vlog Case Studies
Andrew Marlow CEnv MIEMA went to extraordinary efforts to produce nine informative vlogs for World Environment Day specifically relating to the plastic pollution problem. Each video is available from our YouTube channel (click on "playlists" to find them all). Links to the first three:
- Beat Plastic Pollution - An Opening Confession
- Beat Plastic Pollution - A Tale of Two Shopping Bags
- Beat Plastic Pollution - Waste Weighing & Audit
In partnership with the Society, IEMA, one of our valued Constituent Bodies, is also championing World Environment Day. Visit the IEMA website to keep up to date. We will share IEMA case studies on our website up to, and beyond, World Environment Day.
To find out about events that you can attend across the world, visit worldenvironmentday.global and search their events and clean ups.
SocEnv Awards and Lectures on World Environment Day
Tuesday 5th June 2018
16:00 - 21:00 BST
- An evening celebratory and educational event to include the presentation of our prestigious annual award, Environmental Professional of the Year, as well as the presentation of three new Honorary Fellows of the Society for the Environment.
- There will also be the opportunity to learn from expert talks, network with environmental professionals and learn about professional registration.
- For more details and to register your attendance, please click here.
A Plastic Ocean: Screening and Debate by the IES:
In support of the World Environment Day #BeatPlasticPollution campaign, the IES are hosting a series of film screenings showing the documentary, A Plastic Ocean:
Click the link to view the latest tweets about World Environment Day