The Clean Growth Strategy Released
12 October 2017
Today, the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) has published its strategy to achieve a low carbon future - “The Clean Growth Strategy: Leading the way to a low carbon future”.
The strategy details how over £2.5 billion will be invested by the Government to support low carbon innovation from 2015 to 2021, and also highlights the reductions in UK emissions over recent years (alongside a growth in GDP). A number of key policies have been put in place and targets set.
The key policy headlines include:
- Accelerating Clean Growth - Develop world leading Green Finance capabilities
- Improving Business and Industry Efficiency – 25% of UK Emissions
- Improving Our Homes – 13% of UK Emissions
- Accelerating the Shift to Low Carbon Transport – 24% of UK Emissions
- Delivering Clean, Smart, Flexible Power – 21% of UK Emissions
- Enhancing the Benefits and Value of Our Natural Resources – 15% of UK Emissions
- Leading in the Public Sector – 2% of UK Emissions
- Government Leadership in Driving Clean Growth
Prime Minister Theresa May introduces the strategy with a key message; "This Government is determined to leave our natural environment in a better condition than we found it. Clean growth is not an option, but a duty we owe to the next generation, and economic growth has to go hand-in-hand with greater protection for our forests and beaches, clean air and places of outstanding natural beauty."
The strategy sets out the aim to "accelerate the pace of clean growth" and be a front runner in clean growth to encourage others to "follow our example". There is also a focus on innovation: "It is only through innovation – nurturing better products, processes and systems – that we will see the cost of clean technologies come down."
Among measures set out in the strategy, a pledge has been made to work towards the ambition for zero avoidable waste by 2050. To find out more about this, please read the report from CIWM.
To read the full strategy, please click here.
Reaction from our Licensed Bodies